Saturday, December 3, 2016

Thoughtlets: Pregnancy and Cadavers

From here:

"In the current system in the US and many other countries, cadavers have more rights than pregnant people. If I was pregnant and dying from it, and found myself at a catholic hospital, they could (and likely would) refuse to save my life if there was even a trace of fetal heartbeat. They would, against my will, forfeit my own right to live for the sake of a fetus-- a fetus that would also die when I did. Once I was dead, however, the hospital wouldn't be able to use my organs to save other people no matter how imminent their deaths. They could refuse to save my life regardless of how desperate I was to live, they could effectively murder me, but they can't touch my corpse without very clear permission.

Let that sink in for a minute. If I'm pregnant, I have fewer rights to bodily autonomy than if I am dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment