Wednesday, August 31, 2016

VK's Pizza Adventures 2

Freschetta Rising Crust 5/10
DiGiorno Stuffed Crust 4/10
Losta Mozza 4/10

Out of the three the Freschetta was the best. It looked at tasted pretty much exactly like your bog standard DiGiorno rising crust pizza, but was a dollar cheaper.

It's not the tastiest thing in the world, but I can get 2-3 meals out of one for $5. It's kind of hard to write up something that's pretty "meh," there's no emotion there to channel into the writing with how good or how bad it is.

I'd be hard pressed to bring up the sort of hyperbole that comes with a good or bad pizza with sheer neutrality. I just can't do it.

It's a middle of the road pizza, nothing really to write home about.

5/10



There was something off about the DiGiorno Stuffed Crust. I think it was slightly smaller than most frozen pizzas I've had. I get the feeling they made the pizza smaller to make up for the fact that they stuffed a quarter of a string cheese in the back of each slice.

I've got conflicting feelings on stuffed crust in general, when it's hot it tends to make the crust a titch soggy, and aside from a moment of flavor on the first bite I can't really find a difference. But on cold pizza it definitely changes up the texture and also coaxes me into being more thrifty as I will actually eat the crust.

Unfortunately frozen pizzas aren't particularly good cold. I tend to cook a pizza in the morning, leave it out, and work on it two or three slices at a time for the rest of the day. So it doesn't really reach "cold" in temperature.

I did put two slices in the fridge to try cold, and as I suspected it wasn't too terribly good. I'd eat it over the Totino's crap in a heartbeat, but it wasn't as good cold as it was warm.

And even then, it wasn't too terribly good warm either.

I had this and the Freschetta on consecutive days, and I liked that one more. I'm not sure if they made changes to the recipe in the crust, sauce, or cheese that differed from the normal DiGiorno, but I didn't like it as much.

Will not be buying again, especially due to the higher price. Unfortunately my local grocery store's receipt codes are decidedly unhelpful as to which of the Stuffed, Rising, and Thin crusts are which. I three DiGiorno pizzas marked with the unhelpful notations of PIZ $5.99, $PZ 7.99, and PIZZRA $6.49.

Since the thin crust has "Pizzaria" on the box, I think that one is PIZZRA. Hopefully that one doesn't taste like a golden shower fetishist Egyptian sun god. But this one wasn't too terribly good. I liked it more than the Bellatoria, but this was definitely not worth the extra $2 over the normal DiGiorno, especially considering it seemed smaller and the flavor was worse.

Half the time I can order a Papa John's large pizza, which I get a solid 4 meals out of, is great cold, and I don't have to leave the house to get for the same $8 I paid for this (well... plus delivery and tips, but I always get at least 2).

4/10 flavor
1/10 value


The Lotsa Mozza was another okay but bland entry. Liked it more flavor wise than the Bellatoria, but there are two problems with it. The first being the awkward size, I picked up a pair of smaller sized ones for $4.44 each, and at that price point I presumed they'd be better quality than the others.

No sir, they are not. There's not much in the way of flavor there, and despite it being labelled as pepperoni, I didn't experience much in the way of pepperoni flavor. If there were slices in there, they were smothered by the cheese (which I hate, I like my pepperonis on top of the cheese so I can experience all of their unholy, greasy majesty dammit), and if there weren't that means there were only those shitty little pepperoni cubes present in there.

And not only that, but this one was an utter bastard to eat. There wasn't enough crust for me to grab a solid hold of, so I ended up sticking my fingers into slightly greasy cheese with 5 of the 6 slices I picked up. The toppings and sauce also attempted to make a break for it at every opportunity.

I ended up accidentally removing all the cheese from two slices while eating them, leaving me with an unwanted overstuffed mouth for a few moments followed up by several flavorless, unfulfilling, crust only bites that followed. And with the departure of the cheese I ended up getting tomato sauce all over my fingers due to the awkward lack of grippable surface.

I also ended up with about as much sauce on me, my shirt, and my napkin as I did in my stomach. My napkin ended up looking like someone had just used it to staunch a head wound. I will tolerate having to wash my face for the delicious and messy experience that is corn on the cob, but for sub par pizza? No thanks.

The small size, smaller than your typical frozen thin crust, was also pretty awkward. It was a bit too much to eat comfortably in one setting, but not enough for two. As I'll be dining out for dinner, I finished off the remaining 1/4 of pizza, as this brand of frozen pizza has vexed me enough for one day.

4/10 flavor
1/10 ease of eating

No comments:

Post a Comment